Special Event Permits

If you are an organization planning to hold an event on public or private property you may be required to obtain a permit.  The purpose of the permit is to provide, for the protection of persons and property, reasonable supervision of movement within city limits by ways of runs, parades, street dances, celebrations, fairs and festivals. 

There are two types of permits, depending on where your event is located within City limits.

Special Use Permit is required if your event is being held on private property, in a vacant lot, parking lot, or other location not permitted or licensed for such use. The application fee is $120 and there may be additional permits required. Please see Encroachment Permit, Fire Code Permit, and Temporary Sign Permit definitions under Application Materials at the bottom of this page. View the Special Use Application/Client Assistance Memo (PDF). Please contact Cindy Andrews at 253-853-7625 with any questions.

Special Event Permit is required for any event held on public property or that will affect City rights-of-way. Examples of special events include, but are not limited to: weddings, funerals, festivals, concerts, walks/runs, Free Speech/Demonstration, and uses/activities that impact regular park operations or normal park usage. A permit is required if the event will have 30 or more people or includes the need for tents, amplified sound, stages, generators, vendor booths, involves public promotion of the event or collection of money. The application fee is $150 for a non-profit sponsored event and $500 for a commercially sponsored event.  There may also be additional permits required.  The Special Event Application is due at least 60 days prior to the event date.  If the event constitutes a road closure, the application must be submitted no less than 90 days prior to the event date. View the Gig Harbor Municipal Code (GHMC) 5.28 - SPECIAL EVENTS for full details. Please email Scott Keely or call 253-851-8136 with any questions.

Note: When an organization holds one event that spans both private and public property, a Special Event Permit is required. The event will need to meet both sets of criteria for a Special Use and Special Event, but only the Special Event Application must be submitted.

Application Materials

  • Special Event Application (PDF) - Required for any event held on public property or that will affect City rights-of-way.
  • Encroachment Permit Application (PDF) - Required if event takes place in the right-of-way and/or if signs such as sandwich boards/A-boards, banners or balloon arches/signs will be placed in the public right-of-way (along roads or sidewalks).  Runs, parades, art shows, etc, that will be held in the right-of-way must include a temporary encroachment permit in addition to the Special Event Application. Fee is $50.
  • Fire Code Permit Application (PDF) - Required if there will be use of fire pit, barbeque or other heated cooking surface, outdoor heaters, and/or if there will be any air supported temporary membrane structure or tent having an area in excess of 200 sg ft and canopies in excess of 400 sq ft. See the Client Assistance Memo (PDF) for requirements on tents, canopies and membrane structures.  Fee is $66.
  • Temporary Sign Permit Application (PDF) - Required for any banner signs and/or balloon displays/arches.